Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Reality isn't always real!


I won't even try to talk about the results of The Bachelor last night! I meant to watch since I've seen the last few episodes, so I could see who won, but I got busy with my family and after reading the episode summary this morning, I'm glad I missed it! Wow!

It makes me wonder exactly how real "reality" TV is. Segments like last night's The Bachelor make these so-called true life stories seem staged for station ratings. I KNOW pieces of American Idol are. They have to be.

Yet America remains obsessed!

What is so interesting about staged reality? Fake realism? What made the reality TV bandwagon fill up with overeager Americans with TIVO-eager fingers? Why is watching someone else's life on TV so much more interesting than living our own? (especially when we KNOW its got to be at least partially scripted/staged?)

Again, it made me glad I missed last night's episode of The Bachelor. I had much more fun with my family, cooking dinner (yay for new grills!), cleaning up, watching Wheel of Fortune with Audrey and feeding her baby food, getting things ready for my parent's upcoming garage sale, laughing when Audrey sneezed and shot pear blueberry oats out her mouth and laughing again during an extreme game of peek-a-boo. That's life. That's real.

Yet for many Americans, it seems that isn't enough anymore. There's no drama, there's no stakes. Man, life is hard enough on its own!! Why make it harder by comparing ourl ives to the fake versions on TV? Its no different than women comparing their bodies to airbrushed models. Its DANGEROUS. Plain and simple.

I also think people watch "reality" TV differently than they watch sitcoms. With sitcoms, we know its scripted, light-hearted, funny, relatable. But with "reality" TV shows, we get more serious. We get more involved. We believe it. Sometimes that's harmless, but sometimes it sucks us in - exactly as the station managers hope it will.

It's the same situation with books. We read fiction and nonfiction differently. And if we're not careful, what we're reading in a nonfiction book we will take as absolute truth without regard for the meaning behind the message, or the author behind the cover.

Just some thoughts for your Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Georgiana Daniels said...

I always wonder how much is scripted too! Especially when we're watching Wife Swap--my new addiction. It's like when they cut to two weeks after the swap and what changes have taken place, I'm like, "Yeah right! They wouldn't have permanent change like that. That's totally phony. That kid would NEVER help with the dishes without pitching a fit."

You're right about the danger of getting too involved.