Friday, August 28, 2009

Deep thoughts and a winner...

I've been surrounded by realization lately of God's grace...and judgement.

In Sunday school this past week we were studying the book of Jonah, and got a detailed look at exactly how evil the people of Ninevah were. No wonder Jonah didn't want to go preach to them! I won't get into the details how nasty and violent and brutal they were. Its a day-dimmer, for sure.

I got another refresher of that this morning while reading from the book of Nahum. The Assyrians were some pretty bad people, yet God extended His grace toward them.

But check this out: (bold emphrasis mine)

The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD takes vengeance and is filled with wrath. The LORD takes vengeance on his foes and maintains his wrath against his enemies. The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet.

Hmmm. That kind of reminds me of Sodom and Gomorrah and how that turned out!

Which kinda reminds me of (gulp) America.

Throughout history, God has shown grace. The people of Ninevah repented. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah did not.

Ninevah survived, Sodom and Gomorrah did not.

See a pattern?

I'm concerned for our nation today. What started out as a strong, "under God" country has been reduced to a cesspool of sin. Our government today supports homosexuality and abortion. I believe that would have our founding fathers rolling in their graves! We've sunk so low, and so far, God has been merciful. But eventually, judgment will reign. If we don't repent as a nation, punishment is evident.

After Sept. 11th, 2001, Americans banded together. Flags were flown, souls were saved, God was put back into the country. It was a true miracle...

and it lasted for about 6 months.

I hope it doesn't take another national tragedy to bring people back to God. I hope God keeps giving America second chances. I hope Americans today will repent and turn their hearts and live over to God. If not, what will our beloved country look like in five years? Ten? Will God even allow it to continue that long?

I believe our country has become power hungry. We've crossed the line from proud to arrogant. From thankful to assuming. From grateful to greedy.

Wake up, people! The only way out of this mess we've created for ourselves in America is repentance, and humility. What can you do today to spread the gospel? To tell someone about Jesus? Look for opportunities to make America a better place today. Prayer might not be allowed in schools anymore, but its certainly allowed in your car with your child before they get out to start their day.

Exercise your freedoms. Before they're all completely gone.

Sigh.

Okay, so on a lighter note, we have a winner of the contest I was holding regarding my new author site (www.betsystamant.com) Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad to know my new website is liked by all! =)

And now, the winner of the free autographed copy of RETURN TO LOVE is....

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



ELIZABETH YOUNTS!

Congrats! Please email me your mailing address and I will ship this book to you next week. =)

Thanks for playing everyone!

2 comments:

Georgiana Daniels said...

Once I read about the people of Ninevah, I could understand where Jonah was coming from! Amazing how big God's grace is. Hope we as a nation repent in time.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

YAY!!! Thanks so much! I'm thrilled!