Saturday, August 08, 2009

Fairy-tale Romance


As a romance writer, its unbelievably refreshing to be able to step away from my computer and all the stories lurking in my head and get a taste of true romance in reality.


For our 5 year wedding anniversary, Hubby indeed swept me off my feet and into a fairytale. Man, I know how to pick 'em, huh? =)

He had everything planned this year and refused to tell me anything. All I knew was that I was to be at my parents house, dropping off Audrey, and ready to go, dressed fancy, by 6:00.





Well, he picked me up all right - in a stretch HUMMER! That's right. A giant white stretch hummer pulled up in my parent's driveway. The driver wished me a happy anniversary as we slid in, and were whisked away. (I have a pic of the outside my mom took, of us getting in, but will have to load later as its on her camara)









On the way to Superior Steakhouse, Hubby surprised me with my first gift - a diamond anniversary ring. We're going to sauter it to my wedding band. So touching! And beautiful! What I love even more about this ring is it has a story. An accomplice of his found the ring in an antique shop out of town and bought it for a super reasonable price. Then our local jeweler took it apart, cleaned the diamonds, and put them into a new white gold band. As an author, I can't stop wondering who wore those diamonds before me and what their story is!! That'll keep me up for a few nights =)






We ate dinner at the steakhouse, which was amazing, and I ordered the blueberry turnover with ice cream for dessert. The waitor brought it out, and look what they did - as well as gave it to me free!





Then we went to a super fancy hotel by the river and stayed on the 22nd floor. Gorgeous suite and view. But I had one more surprise waiting for me in the hotel room. To show his support for my writing and for my new venture into being a stay at home/work at home mom, my hubby got me a brand new laptop. A beautiful, steel gray, Gateway with a webcam, 15.5 inch screen and all the bells and whistles I could ever use. He said it wasn't so much an anniversary present because he was going to do that anyway but it seemed like good timing! I would agree! =)


View from our room





The next morning we slept in and ate breakfast at a favorite local diner. It was the perfect anniversary weekend, and I can't stop bragging about my generous, sweet, thoughtful hubby.


For his gift, I had bought an unfinished wooden box at Hobby Lobby (5 years is the "wooden" anniversary) and filled it with little mementos of things to represent our relationship. Scooby Doo stickers to represent our first date (the movies 7 years ago!), a wooden cut out of a sand pail/bucket to represent our beach honeymoon, etc. Little fun things. Then I got him a gift card to Home Depot to put toward tools, so he can "build us more memories" and a jigsaw tool =) Now that he has a workshop in our barn, he wants to start woodworking and making things for Little Miss.


So that completes my fairy tale romance! 5 years of marriage...and they lived happily ever after.

8 comments:

jenness said...

Wow. Pretty impressive. :-) But to tell you the truth, if he's anything like my hubby, I doubt he got the stretch Hummer for YOU, necessarily. lol. But that's awesome. Happy anniversary!!!

Christine Goldman Sims said...

Betsy,

Congratulations and happy belated anniversary. It looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Your hubby is so thoughtful!

Christine

Erica Vetsch said...

Congratulations, Betsy. Looks like you had a marvelous time.

TheFancyFritter said...

What a fun day! That is such a sweet hubby! Congrats on the new laptop too! :)

Jenny B. Jones said...

Happy anniversary to you! And LOVE the new website. It's super cute.

Georgiana Daniels said...

OH. MY.

That is super! A stretch Hummer AND a laptop?????? I can't believe you made me wait to read it on the blog. You are a serious stinker =P

Hope you're having lots of fun and pounding out the words!

Lori said...

Love the pics! And you're right the ring is gorgeous! Love it.

Long live the romance! Tell your husband we all think he did great, and he is welcome to give my husband ideas for our upcoming tenth anniversary. hehe

Liz Johnson said...

Congrats on your anniversary! What a thoughtful, wonderful weekend with your hubby! You look lovely in that dress! And yay for a new laptop! How sweet!