Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are you reading?


What are you reading?

I just got two books in the mail yesterday to review for Bethany House and I can't decide which to read first. One is Lisa Wingate's newest NEVER SAY NEVER, and the other is by Deeanne Gist called BEGUILED. And I have to say, the covers on both are amazing.

In the limited amount of reading time I have, I've discovered lately I really do enjoy historicals. I never would have thought that. I've never minded them, but the last year or two of historical novels have come a long way and are taking risks and reaching new heights. Kudos, authors!! =)

I have to admit though, I must be careful of not reading too many at once, because I tend to write like I'm reading. That's why its usually important for authors to read the genre they write, because its easy to let the flowing, prosy feel of historicals take over my contemporary romance manuscript. Obviously a chick lit doesn't need to be written in the short, tight, choppy style of suspense writing, nor does a romance need an ominous, thriller feel to it. Does anyone esle struggle with that?
So what are you reading today? What's next in your pile? I just finished a reviewer copy of Allison Pittman's new historical THE BRIDEGROOMS and have started Kristen Heitzmann's first in the Rose Legacy.
PS - My hubby actually asked me the other day if I needed/wanted more bookcases in my office, and to let him know and he'd build something. Sweetest words ever spoken. =)

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I absolutely LOVE Lisa Wingate's books! I just finished Drenched In Light! It was truly awesome!

Haelie said...

I'm reading "Parenting by The Book" by John Rosemond. I also have a few other unfinished reading projects...as usual! ;-)

Erica Vetsch said...

Yay for new bookshelves and husbands that build them!

I'm reading Lisa Harris' Love Finds You in Revenge, Ohio.

Georgiana Daniels said...

Awww...that's so sweet! When he's done can he build some for me =P

Last night I finished Apothecary's Daughter--also a historical. I confess, I'm in a historical phase too. Erica's work converted me a while back.

Lori said...

Reading: C.S. Lewis, The Dark Tower, and Catherine Palmer, The Courteous Cad. Great combination, I know. :)

I can't believe you haven't read KH's Rose Legacy series yet. You're going to love it!